Would sprite help an upset stomach?Asked by: Elliott Clark | Last update: 18 June 2021
Score: 4.2/5 (11 votes)
Drink plenty of ﬂuids in small sips until the stomach is settled and then in larger amounts until your thirst is satisfied. Clear liquids are the best. Water, Gatorade, Sprite, 7-Up, and Ginger Ale are suggested. Clear broth, plain Jell—O and weak tea may also be used but in smaller amounts.View full answer
Likewise, people ask, Why is Sprite good for nausea?
Fizzy, sugary beverages can sometimes alleviate nausea better than plain water. “Carbonation can help to reduce the total acidity of the stomach, which may help the nausea dissipate,” Dr. Szarka says.
Beside the above, What drink helps an upset stomach?.
- Sports drinks.
- Clear, non-caffeinated sodas such as 7-Up, Sprite or ginger ale.
- Diluted juices such as apple, grape, cherry or cranberry (avoid citrus juices)
- Clear soup broth or bouillon.
- Decaffeinated tea.
In respect to this, Does Sprite really help when you're sick?
TREATING THE FLU
Get plenty of rest. Drink at least 2 liters each day of liquids such as non-diet 7-UP, Sprite, Gatorade, ginger ale, broth, tea with sugar (yes, soda pop is OK with a cold or flu). For runny nose and stuffy nose, try a decongestant like 12-Hour Sudafed (available without a prescription).
What calms an upset stomach?
- Drinking water. ...
- Avoiding lying down. ...
- Ginger. ...
- Mint. ...
- Taking a warm bath or using a heating bag. ...
- BRAT diet. ...
- Avoiding smoking and drinking alcohol. ...
- Avoiding difficult-to-digest foods.
- Ginger Can Relieve Nausea and Vomiting. ...
- Chamomile May Reduce Vomiting and Soothe Intestinal Discomfort. ...
- Peppermint May Relieve Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. ...
- Licorice Can Reduce Indigestion and May Help Prevent Stomach Ulcers. ...
- Flaxseed Relieves Constipation and Stomach Pain.
- Drink clear or ice-cold drinks.
- Eat light, bland foods (such as saltine crackers or plain bread).
- Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods.
- Eat slowly and eat smaller, more frequent meals.
- Do not mix hot and cold foods.
- Drink beverages slowly.
Do not eat or drink anything for several hours after vomiting. Sip small amounts of water or suck ice chips every 15 minutes for 3-4 hours. Next, sip clear liquids every 15 minutes for 3-4 hours. Examples include water, sports drinks, flat soda, clear broth, gelatin, flavored ice, popsicles or apple juice.
Some people may want to avoid drinking cold water. Drinking cold water while you have a cold or flu, or if you have any chronic condition that results in slower digestion, is probably not a great idea.
A new study shows that Gatorade was as effective as Pedialyte at rehydrating and easing diarrhea in children with viral gastroenteritis. Sometimes called the "stomach flu," viral gastroenteritis is caused by a virus that may trigger diarrhea and/or vomiting and usually improves by itself within a week.
When to talk to your doctor about an upset stomach
An upset stomach typically goes away on its own within 48 hours. Sometimes stomach pain indicates a more serious health problem, however. Know when to speak to a healthcare professional for stomach pain.
Symptoms associated with an upset stomach
nausea (with or without vomiting) an increase in bowel movements. loose stool or diarrhea. headache.
For cramping from diarrhea, medicines that have loperamide (Imodium) or bismuth subsalicylate (Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol) might make you feel better. For other types of pain, acetaminophen (Aspirin Free Anacin, Liquiprin, Panadol, Tylenol) might be helpful.
- get plenty of fresh air.
- distract yourself – for example, listen to music or watch a film.
- take regular sips of a cold drink.
- drink ginger or peppermint tea.
- eat foods containing ginger – such as ginger biscuits.
- eat smaller, more frequent meals.
Coca-Cola, due to its carbonic and phosphoric acid, has a pH of 2.6 and resembles the natural gastric acid that's thought to be important for fiber digestion, the researchers said. In addition, the sodium bicarbonate and carbon dioxide bubbles in the beverage might enhance the dissolving effect.
“It's really no different from you grabbing a Sprite if you had an upset stomach.” Plus, Li explained, the high sugar content in ginger ale might actually make you feel worse — especially if you drink too much of it.
Wait to brush. Brushing immediately after vomiting can actually lead to more damage. Since the stomach acid can weaken enamel, scrubbing it with your toothbrush might cause scratching and more dental problems.
Ingesting too much lemon juice in a brief period may make nausea worse. The scent of lemons may also ease nausea. According to a 2014 study , inhaling lemon essential oil can help reduce nausea and vomiting in pregnant women.