Do phosphates eat up chlorine?Asked by: Sofia Knight | Last update: 18 June 2021
Score: 4.8/5 (59 votes)
Phosphates eat the chlorine, with low to no chlorine leads to algae growth. Only treat when needed. Phoenix products: “Cloudiness will occur upon addition and increase filter pressure, therefore backwash and/or clean the filter as necessary. Recheck phosphate level after application and treat accordingly.”View full answer
Keeping this in consideration, Do phosphates affect chlorine?
High phosphates seem to weaken chlorine, as evidenced by low chlorine readings, lowered ORP, and the most visual of all evidence: algae.
Secondly, Does chlorine kill phosphates?. If you balance your pool for calcium, it will naturally control phosphates. And maintaining the correct pH, alkalinity, and chlorine levels will help to prevent algae. Control algae with an algaecide.
Also question is, What eats up chlorine in a pool?
What eats chlorine in a pool? Organisms like algae and bacteria are the number one culprits. However, sunlight, high temperature, and too much cyanuric acid can also play a role in chlorine loss in a pool.
What does phosphate do to a pool?
High phosphate levels feed algae and promote algae growth, which in turn makes it more difficult and expensive to kill the algae and keep your pool chemistry balanced. High phosphate levels also use up chlorine quickly, making it even more difficult to kill the algae and keep your pool clean.
Ideally, you want no phosphates in your water. A level between 100-125 ppm is acceptable, but once you start to get higher than 500, it is time to start treatment. In order to rid phosphates from your pool, you will need to use a chemical to remove them.
Phosphate reducers are specialty chemicals used to remove phosphates from pool water. They are typically salts of aluminum or lanthanum which, when added to water, produce insoluble phosphate compounds which are removed through filtration, vacuuming or both.
Chlorine lock can occur when there is too much cyanuric acid (also referred to as conditioner or stabilizer) in the water. This occurs when too much stabilizer is added to the water or when the swimming pool isn't being partially drained and refilled periodically. Chlorine lock can also occur if the pH is unbalanced.
Ironically, a strong chemical smell around the pool and “swimmer red eye” may be signs that there is not enough chlorine in the water. ... Chlorine-based pool sanitizers help reduce swimmers' risk of waterborne illnesses, such as diarrhea, swimmer's ear, and various skin infections.
We're probably all familiar with at least one of the common side-effects of swimming: sore eyes, skin irritations, fading swimming costumes, and that lovely smell that lingers until you've had a good shower. But chlorine itself, when used at the recommended low levels, is perfectly safe.
Although the shock will kill off some algae currently in the pool, the chlorine will not reduce the level of phosphates. Once the chlorine level drops, the phosphates will provide the conditions necessary for algae growth again.
Can I Swim After Adding Phosphate Remover? Phosphate remover is a non-harsh chemical. Once it completely circulates through your pool in about an hour, you can start swimming.
Most pool test kits and test strips do not come with phosphate tests, but you can get a phosphate test kit for pretty cheap. However, because it takes such a long time for phosphates to build up in your pool, I always recommend taking a water sample to your local pool supply store to have it tested.
Phosphates enter pool and spa water from many sources, which is why many pools and spas report problems with phosphates. Things such as: body oils, cosmetics, suntan lotions, fertilizer, and even some stain and scale inhibitors can cause phosphate levels to skyrocket.
Lastly, when using PhosFree to prevent algae I have observed that the PhosFree does coat the filter so it can kill all the algae in the water, resulting in higher filter pressure and a reduction in the water flow.........so you can clean your filter off after 2 days of using the PhosFree to allow your filter to ...
Too much phosphorus can cause increased growth of algae and large aquatic plants, which can result in decreased levels of dissolved oxygen– a process called eutrophication. High levels of phosphorus can also lead to algae blooms that produce algal toxins which can be harmful to human and animal health.
Tap water chlorine dissipates almost fully in a day, but pool chlorine takes about 4 1/2 days. (Rough orders aro too many variables.) There are compounds which are considerably slowed by catalysts that make keeping a swimming pool level stable.
Your best bet is to triple shock it with calcium hypochlorite. To triple shock, add 3 pounds of shock per 10,000 gallons of water. You'll need to know your pool's volume to do this correctly, which you can determine with a pool calculator.
According to NSPI standards for public pools, the ideal frequency for a super dose is every week, depending on use and water temperature. For high use pools, superchlorination may be required three times a week or more as a preventive measure.